Monday, November 9, 2009

A parent's perspective

I just wanted to say a few things about the Production Class and how it has truly affected my son, Lane.

It was a hugh deal for my shy son to take the big step of taking Ms Aly's One Act class last session. He wanted to allow himself to be part of Hurrah ( after watching his sister, Marissa, have so much fun with it), but there was that part of him that would hold himself back. I gave him a little incentive and he ran with it. The first day after that class, he walked out with a big smile and thanked me and told me that he loved the class. Since that time, Lane has continued to change thanks to the magic of Hurrah. That first class with Ms Aly and now the class he is taking with Sharon Cook has given him a new perspective of the world and more insight into himself. He is now (although slowly) allowing himself to open up his real self, and as a parent, it has been a very moving experience.

Lane even decided to audition for HIVA this year, which floored us. It took him a long time to decide, but about a week before auditions, he grabbed a song and said he could do it, then practiced his heart out. I'm sure the audition was altogether frightening for him, but that night when I tucked him in, he told me he did a good job and he was proud of himself. And that meant more than anything to me.

Thanks for all you do for so many children.

Gina Dobson

No comments: